Anonymous
Please Login or Register  
Welcome to the new EC!
Random Babes   

Main Menu   

http://www.easycompanygaming.com :: View topic - Windows 10
Forum Index  ·  Usergroups  ·  Members  ·  Edit your profile  ·  Search  ·  Login, Check Messages
Arcade  ·  Forum FAQ  ·  Ranks  ·  Board Rules  ·  Staff  ·  Statistics  ·  Log in

Search for at
http://www.easycompanygaming.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
 COD2 Server Open For Business!!! News, Updates & Input -=EC=-Gimp 0 Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:03 pm
-=EC=-Gimp View latest post
 Dragui Village News, Updates & Input -=EC=-Gimp 4 Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:11 am
Rumpokid View latest post
 It's been a while. Introductions spraytime 19 Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:43 pm
Rumpokid View latest post
 -=EC=- AWE MOD Server Test News, Updates & Input -=EC=-Gimp 1 Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:28 pm
Lt_John_Wayne View latest post
 hey Introductions roentgen 9 Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:45 pm
Artorias View latest post
 how is everyone?! Introductions Rain 3 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm
-=EC=-Gimp View latest post
Windows 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next
http://www.easycompanygaming.com Forum Index -> General Discussion & Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=EC=-Gimp
BOD
BOD

usa.png

XFire: olderwomen
Origin ID: Gimp63
Steam ID: Gimp63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am Post subject: No icon Windows 10 Reply with quote

So the reviews are extremely positive but Windows 8 sucked so bad.  Are you guys going with the free upgrade?
Spacepotato
BOD
BOD

blank.png

votes: 2

XFire: windyshrimp101
Origin ID: SubatomicPotato
Steam ID: windyshrimp101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:35 am Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

No. 7 isn't broken in really any way and provides me with everything I need at the moment. Why upgrade? Also, 10 is full of monitoring bloatware.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

I'll stick with what I've got for now.
CaptainSanta
MP Admin
MP Admin

usa.png

XFire: CaptainSanta
Origin ID: CaptainSanta100
Steam ID: CaptainSanta100

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:31 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Windows 8 was fantastic. I loved the change it brought to the OS. Whatever.

That being said. Windows 10 is incredibly fantastic. Haven't had a problem, starts up WAY faster than my W7 Ultimate x64 bit. I love the apps, except for the Paid solitaire LOL.

Regardless, W10 is W7 and W8 put together. If you don't want people "monitoring" you just block them. Easy enough. (It's very possible)

-Santa
Visit member's Facebook: lorenzendaniel
EC Donation
nightmare
BOD
BOD

usa.png

XFire: powrman
Origin ID: Cyrcle
Steam ID: powrman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:56 am Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been.

Wait,  Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

Wait, Windows XP is what Windows ME should have been.

Hmm.  No, I won't be upgrading for now.  Once more games utilize DX12, I will, however.
--------------=EC=--------------

Steam: powrman
Origin: Cyrcle
SgtBaker
Sr. Admin
Sr. Admin

usa.png

XFire: SgtBaker
Steam ID: SgtBaker2112

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:47 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I hope to upgrade this week when I have time. Definitely expect to tweak it quite a bit.
SgtBaker
Sr. Admin
Sr. Admin

usa.png

XFire: SgtBaker
Steam ID: SgtBaker2112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Found time tonight! Upgrade process went quite smoothly. The only issue I've encountered so far is that it changed my audio to 7.1 (which I don't have), so it made me think I was having issues. Switched it back to stereo, and all seems to be well. I've tested it with CoD2, Minecraft, and Battlefield 4 without any real problems. CoD2 takes a while to load, but I was having that with 7 as well.

Overall, it looks a good deal different from 7, especially the start menu. I'd compare it to when Android adopted material design, as far as the aesthetics are concerned. It transferred over my quickstart menu, so I was very happy to see that, and none of my programs appear to be inop. Everything seems pretty responsive, and it boots quickly. Quite pleased at this point.
EC Donation
Nickenstein
BOD
BOD

blank.png

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 am Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I've been periodically mulling this over for the last few days and I've made my mind up on it. Here are my thoughts:

Booting up quicker is no surprise, you've just installed a fresh OS. So that really isn't a convincer for me. You could get the same speed-up by uninstalling unused programs, running a reg-cleaner, defragging your drives and stopping things you don't need to run permanently from auto-starting on boot (Steam/GOG/Skype/Dropbox/Spotify/iTunes etc).

The data-collection it does is a huge turn off! It's recording your voice, parsing your emails and it's key-logging everything you type, which obviously will contain passwords and card numbers you use. Regardless of how innocent they claim their intentions with that data may be (remember the XB-Connect debacle?), it is still public network traffic that could be intercepted and deciphered by any nefarious group. (Hackers are going to be all over this and attempting to decrypt the user-data being sent to MS, and constantly attempting to get at that stored database on MS's servers.)

As a programmer, I am very keen to get my hands on the DX12 sdk so that I can re-work my shader-code for future graphics hardware, and as a gamer I will be wanting to play future games that require DX12.

So at present, I'm in the same mindset as Nightmare and Spotato:

Windows-10 can fuck right off! (until I really really have no choice)  Sad
kenny_k
Sr. Admin
Sr. Admin

usa.png

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:53 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I reserved my copy but didn't install it. I too am not pleased with all the data collection it does plus I don't see any real reason for me to leave win7.

free copy of a ms operating system, well I guess the old saying is true. "you don't get something for nothing"
bullet

usa.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:57 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I registered here because this is the only place on the internet i could find in regards to Windows 10 and COD2.
I upgraded to windows 10 and was able to run COD2 but it was a little laggy for me. So, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and have not been able to install back onto a Windows 10 system. Has anyone had success installing cod2 on Windows 10? i have tried about everything possible with no luck. It gets to the very end and just quits. It's like it is in the very last verification step and then has a problem with NTDLL.DLL. I don't know what to do other than finally abandon COD2 for good. Sad
EC Donation
Nickenstein
BOD
BOD

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I have zero knowledge of Win10 (And won't until I am absolutely forced to install it).

Can you do regular windows stuff like run the installer as an administrator, run it with compatibility for Win-XP and so on? If so I would try those methods.

Failing that, create a partition on your hard-drive and install Win-7 on that.
bullet

usa.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Yeah, i did all the usual stuff, it just won't work.
I set up a dual boot and screwed it up and had to reinstall. Just tired of the dual boot headache and decided it's windows 10 or nothing. The last option would be to buy another copy of cod2 from steam and see if that works.
Nickenstein
BOD
BOD

blank.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I always have dual boot on the go (This PC still has a Win7 partition from when I decided to tentatively try Win8), and when I eventaully try Win10 (hopefully not for a long time), it will be on top of that Win7 partition so I still have Win8 on this one.

I wonder if it is a DirectX issue, as they have changed how that works a bit for DX12. Have you tried first installing an old (2010 to 2012) DX runtime before attempting to install COD2? (Also COD2 has some issues if you launch it without USB headphones plugged in, so check for that that too.)
EC Donation
stunt
Sr. Admin
Sr. Admin

usa.png

votes: 1

XFire: dcoy20
Origin ID: stuntb0yFL
Steam ID: d_coy20

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:01 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

I would still be running XP Pro if I didn't have to upgrade for BF4 lol.

Dumb question: Have you made sure all drivers are up to date?
   • No - Update first, video drivers at least.
   • Yes - Keep reading

Supposedly, CoD 2 uses SafeDisc.
Sadly, Windows 10 DOES NOT support SafeDisc or Securom DRM software do to it being "insecure". Here's a read about it:
Win 10 and Safedisc/Securom DRM
It's also a recent article.

You can try this if and when your drivers are updated. *Crosses Fingers*Steam Discussion CoD2.
Scroll down to the Windows 8.1/10 section. It's old, "Edited in April" But it's worth a shot.
   •To Disable UAC in WIN 10 follow this Disable UAC Windows 10

You may be boned with Win 10 and your original CoD 2 install discs.
HOWEVER, the Steam version should work if you were to go that route. Luckily tho, if it doesn't, they do now offer refunds. As long as you don't exceed 2 hrs playtime OR take longer than 2 weeks to request it or have been abusing it lol, they should honor the refund. I've done this in the past, downloaded a game that didn't like win 7 so I requested a refund. It took a couple days, but it was honored. They will either put it back onto your original payment option(a.k.a Credit or Debit etc.) or it will get put into your steam wallet and if for some reason it can't be put back onto your original pay method it will got into your steam wallet instead.
bullet

usa.png

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:07 am Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Nickenstein, I thought it was a dx issue as well. Maybe with DX7 being in COD2 but tried multiple suggestions to work around it and nothing worked. The comment below yours sounds more like what the issue might be. Also, don't be so hard on Windows 10. It's a good system. Things are faster, snappier, and it feels "lighter". Yeah, you have to disable a lot of the privacy crap but overall it's an improvement from Windows 7. Everything you do on a smartphone or pc these days is somehow going to be tracked by the manufacturer.
stunt, this may be the problem. It crashes when it seems to "phone home" to Disc 1 during the final steps of installation. I will read the info you provided and report back if successful with the install.  cheers!
stunt
Sr. Admin
Sr. Admin

usa.png

votes: 1

XFire: dcoy20
Origin ID: stuntb0yFL
Steam ID: d_coy20

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Windows 10 Reply with quote

Good luck. Hope you can get it up and going again.
EC Donation
http://www.easycompanygaming.com Forum Index ->  General Discussion & Off Topic