ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE!
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

#1: No icon ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 pm
    —
I coded up an animated grass shader effect today.

It went slightly wrong... ;)

(Watch in HD with your speakers turned up for the full effect.)

Link

#2: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 am
    —
Definitely something from the Matrix...very cool.

#3: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 am
    —
I may be the only one in this forum that knows of it, but there was an old Gen 1 Playstation release title called I.Q. (Intelligent Qube). I played the fuck out of it and was immediately reminded of it with this construct. A quick youtube of the title will yield results.

Thanks Nick for that memory jog and blast from the past.

Also...WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO THAT GRASS?! KILL IT NOW!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

#4: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 pm
    —
Ahh, I'll look that up, Spud. :)

Sadly, my grass almost looks like actual grass now. Sad

#5: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 pm
    —
Yeah man. If you have an emulator or a PlayStation, it's one of the most unique puzzle games I've ever played. Really forward thinking of the time.

They even had a demo of it on PlayStation Underground for members (back when demo disks were a thing). That's where I first played the title.

#6: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:02 am
    —
Nerds...

#7: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm
    —
Shut it, Jock.

#8: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:47 am
    —
Nerds is a candy...I'll take that as a compliment.

#9: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 am
    —

#10: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 pm
    —
Ha! Very Happy

#11: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:45 pm
    —
I remember that game lol. That noise is what had me dazed. I thought Hypno-Toad was about to pop up and command me to do something EEEEEVEEEEEEL!!!

#12: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 pm
    —
The hypno-toad will be commanding you to buy my game.

When the grass works properly, obviously.
(And the rest of the game.)

;)

#13: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 pm
    —
If the grass gets unruly and doesn't want to cooperate...You could always just....cut it.

#14: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:16 pm
    —
Watch the video again. Would you mess with that... 'entity' ?

#15: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 pm
    —
I've watched The Entity plenty of times. Early 80's naked Barbara Hershey? Yes please!

#16: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:46 pm
    —
Blimey! That takes me back!

In memory all of these years I thought that was Sigourney Weaver!
It's weird how your brain munges ancient memories together.

#17: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 pm
    —
All this talk is making me hungry. *Goes to get box of Cheez-its*

#18: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 am
    —
Spacepotato wrote (View Post):
I've watched The Entity plenty of times. Early 80's naked Barbara Hershey? Yes please!

Dude, she was hot...

#19: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: drhouse5524 PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am
    —
thats pretty wicked, Nick.. That grass has some movement, lol..... Can i have that for my front yard? Having people pay me to watch it would be a good way to make some extra cash Smile ...

#20: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:05 am
    —
Thanks, House! :D

The grass is still not quite right, yet...

Via further experimentation, I appear to have inadvertantly invented GlassCraft:

#21: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 am
    —
HUZZA!

Whilst you odious/gluttonous American twats stuffed your big stupid faces with delicious turkey and yams, I worked through the night to make my game look a bit better (sadly, I had no turkey. Or yams) ...

May I present to you (drum roll) grass that almost actually fucking looks a little bit like grass: -

(PS - Happy Thanksgiving, chaps!) ;)

EDIT - (The keen eyed among you might spot in the middle of the image that I attempted to make a turkey-shaped-object draped in an American flag. That was my way of joining in with the Thanksgiving celebrations.)

#22: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: ArtoriasLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:15 pm
    —
Perfectly designed. Appeals to both the refined and skillful English and the fat and overstuffed Americans.

#23: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:09 am
    —
Precisely what I was going for, Arty! ;D

(Also, the blury effect is a pixel shader I wrote yesterday to emulate the depth of field effect you get with a camera trying to focus on an object in the centre of the view.)

#24: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:42 am
    —
Looking good, my friend!

#25: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:18 am
    —
Thank's man!

bit by bit, I'm getting there. Smile

#26: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 pm
    —
So, this is what my game looks like now.

Feast your eyes on some robots building the wonkiest fortress ever! ;D

I'm all burned out from too much non-stop programming now. I'm taking Sunday off to do nothing but get drunk, play games & masturbate. Actually, forget about the playing games part.

#27: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:14 pm
    —
Lookin marvelous. I see you've tamed the grass down lol. I have but two words for ya. Play Tester.

#28: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm
    —
Thanks, Stunt! :)

stunt wrote (View Post):
I have but two words for ya. Play Tester.

Yeah, man! As soon as it's in a playable state I'll hook you up! Very Happy
(Same goes for anyone else who would like to get involved with testing.)

Here is a robot building an exceptionally wonky bridge!

#29: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 am
    —
I'm liking what I'm seeing, Nicky! Just a quick question. Is everything built by the robotic lackeys in the game going to wonky? Is normal building a premium DLC? Haha I jest!

#30: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:09 am
    —
Pre-order today for the non-wonky asset-pack!

Some things are wonkier than others. The wonkyness is a visual indicator of structural stability. (with the added bonus that it looks really cool.)   Wink

#31: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:19 am
    —
Does one have to be wonky to play?

#32: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:29 am
    —
-=EC=-Gimp wrote (View Post):
Does one have to be wonky to play?

Given that I am currently the worlds top player, I'd have to say YES! ;D

#33: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:54 am
    —
UPDATE:

I've been struggling for some time with the very tricksy problem of making my robots 'cope' properly with a limitless 3D world distributed across multiple players. I have extra constraints to contend with as my game has a full real-world type physics simulation running.

But I've got it nailed now (YAY!). And to celebrate that milestone, I wrote a spiffy new mighty morphin' power-shader for the 'blueprints' that you want your robots to construct.

It looks like wobbly transparent ghost-jelly in the sky! ;)

PS: It looks so damn good in motion that I'm cutting a video right now! Wink

#34: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm
    —
All you need now is to cut a picture of Zordon into the wobbly jelly. Power Rangers be damned!

#35: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 am
    —
A quick update.

I've done a test video by cludging together my infinite landscape code and my wobbly jelly shader code.

The FPS of the video is horrible because of fraps (the game runs @60 fps solid even on a dogshit laptop. I need access to a machine with nvidea-shadowplay to record it properly.)

Also the cam is moving too fast for you to see that the entire landscape is wobbly. (You can see it briefly as the text fades out before I start moving the camera.)

EDIT: When I say 'Jelly' I mean the substance that Americans wrongly call 'Jello'. (And when Americans say 'Jelly' they actually mean 'Jam'/'preserve'/'conserve')

Link

ALSO: Here is a bonus pic of the snowy shader I'm working on (This isn't throw-away-experiment code like in the video above. This is something that is definitely intended for the game) :)

#36: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:50 am
    —
So how far are you done with it percentage wise? I wanna see this jelly landscape. I need to know all the money I spent on Jello in my lifetime was not wasted.

#37: No icon Re: ALL GLORY TO THE INFINITE FULCRUM CUBE! Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:35 pm
    —
20-25%(ish), I reckon.

Still coding the game engine atm, for the next few weeks (infinite procedural world engines are complicated as fuck!), then I'll move on to making proper assets/graphics/music and gameplay logic.

A few art assets exist, and a couple of bits of music (as you can hear in that video) but I need to make a lot more.

Oh, and money spent on Jello (or any pudding) is NEVER wasted! ;D

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1