Running COD2 on Windows 8.1
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> Help Desk

#1: No icon Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 am
    —
For people having problems running COD2 on windows 8.1, I've found the following to work:
(I am using the CD version of COD2 and Win8.1. I assume it should also work for people with the Steam version, but I can't verify this. And there is always the possibility that the exe has been modified for digital re-release on Steam/Origin causing extra issues...)

EDIT: This is probably the same for Window-8.0, but I can't test that, as I have 8.1 on my machine.

1.) Set compatibility for Windows-XP-Service-Pack-3. (cod2mp_s.exe->RightClick->Properties->Compatibility)
2.) Aways run as Administrator. (Set this check-box on the compatibility dialogue panel)
3.) Have a USB headset plugged in, with a microphone (I think having some kind of mic connected is key to making the program boot up.)
4.) Once it starts, you have no mouse-pointer in the menu. Alt-tab to desktop and back to the game and then everything should work fine.

:)

Last edited by Nickenstein on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: lecoyotteLocation: france PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 pm
    —
thank Nick Wink

#3: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:07 pm
    —
No problem. Smile

Last edited by Nickenstein on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

#4: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:51 pm
    —
Thanks, Nick, you sexy man you!

#5: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:43 pm
    —
No worries, fella.

Did you post a link on the steam forums or should I do that? (I'll have to retrieve my steam password before I can do it...)

Last edited by Nickenstein on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 pm
    —
I can doooooooooo it....when i've had less to drink....or, you can doooooooooooo it now.

#7: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:05 am
    —
thanks nick. I guess the same is for win8.1. usb headset with mic, that's odd.
I stayed on win7 in fear of cod2 + some other older games I enjoy won't run. plus, it doesn't appear to be that much of an improvement (performance and stability) over win7? didn't see any real reason to upgrade. I could be wrong. I remember going from win95 to win98 was a must and winme to winxp a real must.

#8: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:52 am
    —
Ahh, yes. Good point, Kenny. I am actually using Windows 8.1.

I will update the thread title and my original post to reflect this (as Win 8.1 and Win 8.0 might be different for this, but it most likely works the same for 8.0 and 8.1...)

The thing is, I am using the CD version of COD2, and this is how I finally got it to work with Win8.1.
It's entirely possible that the Steam version of COD2 has been modified/recompiled for digital re-release, and so it could have additional problems that need to be worked around in a different manner...

My guess at why this microphone problem exists, is that the DirectSound component of DirectX works slightly differently on Windows-8/8.1 than it did in previous versions of Windows. So when the exe boots, it creates the DirectSound interface for microphone coms and on Windows 8/8.1 there is a bug in DirectSound that falsely reports the existence of a mic and tries to communicate with it, and this then crashes because there actually isn't one available.

Tomorrow I will do a quick test with my own game, and see if DirectSound sound falsely reports the existence of an attached microphone.

#9: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:18 am
    —
thanks nick. that is interesting about the mic. it has to be a usb headset? I have the cd version too. is 8.1 really that good? they are working on a win10, skipping win9.

#10: No icon Re: Running COD2 on Windows 8.1 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:37 am
    —
kenny_k wrote (View Post):
thanks nick. that is interesting about the mic. it has to be a usb headset? I have the cd version too. is 8.1 really that good? they are working on a win10, skipping win9.

Not sure if it needs to be USB (that's all I have to test).

As for upgrading to Win8: I hate it. It's awful. I need it for certain code development tools I use, that's the only reason I have it.
It certainly doesn't make COD2 run any better than WinXP or Win7 ever did.

Win8 is only better for gaming if the game needs more than 3.6gig of memory, or the game is optimised/developed for a 64bit operating system. (Modern stuff like Battlefield 4. Not ancient stuff like COD2).

So if you want to upgrade to Win8 just to make COD2 (or other old games) work better, you will be wasting your time and money.
Old games run exactly the same, and they usually have additional compatibility issues with Win8, like this microphone problem.

Don't bother with Win8, Kenny. Wink

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> Help Desk

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1