Update on my stuff.
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

#1: No icon Update on my stuff. Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:35 am
    —
For the last few weeks I have been focusing on coding modern photo-realistic graphical effects into my game engine.

A few of the effects I have been implementing include:

* Bloom
* Gaussian Blur
* Lens Flares
* HDR lighting (High Dynamic Range)
* Chromatic aberration (The splitting of white light into red-green-blue gradients, to simulate the diffraction effects caused by variable camera-lens curvature.)
* Motion Blur
* A dynamic sky system, with a dynamic moving sun&moon, and different lighting conditions for different times of day (and changing seasons).
* God rays (extruded Light shafts, which simulate bright light shining through reflective atmospheric aerosols/pollutants such as fog/dust/smog/rain, etc...)

Basically I am attempting to hand-code many of the modern photo-realistic type effects that you see in UnrealEngine4 games, or something like Battlefield4 / The Witcher 3. (without using Unreal or Unity, as I prefer to code my own effects and not rely on other people's game engines.)

Devising my own ways to achieve these effects with just pen & paper and then coding them myself, (then optimising the hell out of them) is the part of game coding I really enjoy.

Here are a few early screen shots I captured yesterday to test some of my new shader code:

First a collection of shots from 6 hour intervals during the time-of-day simulation (Midnight/Dawn/Noon/Dusk) -

And a new screenshot I took today with all of the effects enabled. During the Dusk (~9PM) phase of the simulation -

The best part is that this is all running at 250+ FPS on my dev PC which has a shitty GPU from about 4 years ago! Wink  (NVidia GTX 580)

For my next trick, I am adding dynamic cloud layers (which will be based on a volumetric particle system I am currently writing). That should look really spiffy when the sun shines through the moving gaps in the clouds, causing the extruded light-rays to dynamically change and sweep across the landscape! ;D

#2: No icon Re: Update on my stuff. Author: nightmareLocation: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:21 pm
    —
Looks good Nick.  I want a screenshot with the clouds when you get it done!   Very Happy

#3: No icon Re: Update on my stuff. Author: ArtoriasLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:03 pm
    —
Light shafts make me giggle like an underage schoolgirl.

#4: No icon Re: Update on my stuff. Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:26 am
    —
Lookin good my friend! I've been hard into Isaac: rebirth and Prison Architect. Would love a third to suck up the remaining portion of my life.

#5: No icon Re: Update on my stuff. Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 am
    —
Cheers, Mr. Spud! You (and anyone else from EC who wants to try) will have early access when it's ready for play-testing! Very Happy

Hey Arty! Better light shafts! -

#6: No icon Re: Update on my stuff. Author: ArtoriasLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:07 pm
    —
With light shafts like that, I'd be more than happy to test it.

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1