Windows 10
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

#1: No icon Windows 10 Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am
    —
So the reviews are extremely positive but Windows 8 sucked so bad.  Are you guys going with the free upgrade?

#2: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: Spacepotato PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:35 am
    —
No. 7 isn't broken in really any way and provides me with everything I need at the moment. Why upgrade? Also, 10 is full of monitoring bloatware.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

I'll stick with what I've got for now.

#3: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: CaptainSanta PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:31 pm
    —
Windows 8 was fantastic. I loved the change it brought to the OS. Whatever.

That being said. Windows 10 is incredibly fantastic. Haven't had a problem, starts up WAY faster than my W7 Ultimate x64 bit. I love the apps, except for the Paid solitaire LOL.

Regardless, W10 is W7 and W8 put together. If you don't want people "monitoring" you just block them. Easy enough. (It's very possible)

-Santa

#4: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: nightmareLocation: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:56 am
    —
Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been.

Wait,  Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

Wait, Windows XP is what Windows ME should have been.

Hmm.  No, I won't be upgrading for now.  Once more games utilize DX12, I will, however.

#5: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: SgtBakerLocation: OKC PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:47 pm
    —
I hope to upgrade this week when I have time. Definitely expect to tweak it quite a bit.

#6: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: SgtBakerLocation: OKC PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 pm
    —
Found time tonight! Upgrade process went quite smoothly. The only issue I've encountered so far is that it changed my audio to 7.1 (which I don't have), so it made me think I was having issues. Switched it back to stereo, and all seems to be well. I've tested it with CoD2, Minecraft, and Battlefield 4 without any real problems. CoD2 takes a while to load, but I was having that with 7 as well.

Overall, it looks a good deal different from 7, especially the start menu. I'd compare it to when Android adopted material design, as far as the aesthetics are concerned. It transferred over my quickstart menu, so I was very happy to see that, and none of my programs appear to be inop. Everything seems pretty responsive, and it boots quickly. Quite pleased at this point.

#7: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 am
    —
I've been periodically mulling this over for the last few days and I've made my mind up on it. Here are my thoughts:

Booting up quicker is no surprise, you've just installed a fresh OS. So that really isn't a convincer for me. You could get the same speed-up by uninstalling unused programs, running a reg-cleaner, defragging your drives and stopping things you don't need to run permanently from auto-starting on boot (Steam/GOG/Skype/Dropbox/Spotify/iTunes etc).

The data-collection it does is a huge turn off! It's recording your voice, parsing your emails and it's key-logging everything you type, which obviously will contain passwords and card numbers you use. Regardless of how innocent they claim their intentions with that data may be (remember the XB-Connect debacle?), it is still public network traffic that could be intercepted and deciphered by any nefarious group. (Hackers are going to be all over this and attempting to decrypt the user-data being sent to MS, and constantly attempting to get at that stored database on MS's servers.)

As a programmer, I am very keen to get my hands on the DX12 sdk so that I can re-work my shader-code for future graphics hardware, and as a gamer I will be wanting to play future games that require DX12.

So at present, I'm in the same mindset as Nightmare and Spotato:

Windows-10 can fuck right off! (until I really really have no choice)  Sad

#8: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:53 pm
    —
I reserved my copy but didn't install it. I too am not pleased with all the data collection it does plus I don't see any real reason for me to leave win7.

free copy of a ms operating system, well I guess the old saying is true. "you don't get something for nothing"

#9: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: bullet PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:57 pm
    —
Hey Guys, I registered here because this is the only place on the internet i could find in regards to Windows 10 and COD2.
I upgraded to windows 10 and was able to run COD2 but it was a little laggy for me. So, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and have not been able to install back onto a Windows 10 system. Has anyone had success installing cod2 on Windows 10? i have tried about everything possible with no luck. It gets to the very end and just quits. It's like it is in the very last verification step and then has a problem with NTDLL.DLL. I don't know what to do other than finally abandon COD2 for good. Sad

#10: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm
    —
I have zero knowledge of Win10 (And won't until I am absolutely forced to install it).

Can you do regular windows stuff like run the installer as an administrator, run it with compatibility for Win-XP and so on? If so I would try those methods.

Failing that, create a partition on your hard-drive and install Win-7 on that.

#11: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: bullet PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:58 pm
    —
Yeah, i did all the usual stuff, it just won't work.
I set up a dual boot and screwed it up and had to reinstall. Just tired of the dual boot headache and decided it's windows 10 or nothing. The last option would be to buy another copy of cod2 from steam and see if that works.

#12: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:54 pm
    —
I always have dual boot on the go (This PC still has a Win7 partition from when I decided to tentatively try Win8), and when I eventaully try Win10 (hopefully not for a long time), it will be on top of that Win7 partition so I still have Win8 on this one.

I wonder if it is a DirectX issue, as they have changed how that works a bit for DX12. Have you tried first installing an old (2010 to 2012) DX runtime before attempting to install COD2? (Also COD2 has some issues if you launch it without USB headphones plugged in, so check for that that too.)

#13: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:01 pm
    —
I would still be running XP Pro if I didn't have to upgrade for BF4 lol.

Dumb question: Have you made sure all drivers are up to date?
   • No - Update first, video drivers at least.
   • Yes - Keep reading

Supposedly, CoD 2 uses SafeDisc.
Sadly, Windows 10 DOES NOT support SafeDisc or Securom DRM software do to it being "insecure". Here's a read about it:
Win 10 and Safedisc/Securom DRM
It's also a recent article.

You can try this if and when your drivers are updated. *Crosses Fingers*Steam Discussion CoD2.
Scroll down to the Windows 8.1/10 section. It's old, "Edited in April" But it's worth a shot.
   •To Disable UAC in WIN 10 follow this Disable UAC Windows 10

You may be boned with Win 10 and your original CoD 2 install discs.
HOWEVER, the Steam version should work if you were to go that route. Luckily tho, if it doesn't, they do now offer refunds. As long as you don't exceed 2 hrs playtime OR take longer than 2 weeks to request it or have been abusing it lol, they should honor the refund. I've done this in the past, downloaded a game that didn't like win 7 so I requested a refund. It took a couple days, but it was honored. They will either put it back onto your original payment option(a.k.a Credit or Debit etc.) or it will get put into your steam wallet and if for some reason it can't be put back onto your original pay method it will got into your steam wallet instead.

#14: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: bullet PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:07 am
    —
Nickenstein, I thought it was a dx issue as well. Maybe with DX7 being in COD2 but tried multiple suggestions to work around it and nothing worked. The comment below yours sounds more like what the issue might be. Also, don't be so hard on Windows 10. It's a good system. Things are faster, snappier, and it feels "lighter". Yeah, you have to disable a lot of the privacy crap but overall it's an improvement from Windows 7. Everything you do on a smartphone or pc these days is somehow going to be tracked by the manufacturer.
stunt, this may be the problem. It crashes when it seems to "phone home" to Disc 1 during the final steps of installation. I will read the info you provided and report back if successful with the install.  cheers!

#15: No icon Re: Windows 10 Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 pm
    —
Good luck. Hope you can get it up and going again.

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2