Windows 7 64 bit
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

#1: No icon Windows 7 64 bit Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:00 pm
    —
Rebuilding my pc storage structure, putting in 16GB of G.Skill, and upgrading to 64 bit hopefully this week.  Any pointers?

#2: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: SgtBakerLocation: OKC PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 pm
    —
I didn't have any pointers when you initially posted this, but I thought I'd check in and see how it's going. Made the jump yet?

#3: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:53 pm
    —
Yeah running now.  6 years of stuff is a lot of work to organize and reinstall, though.  I'm battling some kind of boot error now that windows is on an ssd.  Runs great once it starts after three or four attempts in the morning.

#4: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 pm
    —
is achi turned on

#5: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 am
    —
kenny_k wrote (View Post):
is achi turned on

It wasn't, but I've tried that now.  It get's to a different point before it restarts with ahci on.  I actually get a desktop for a brief moment before it restarts.

#6: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 pm
    —
hmmm  Question

maybe a bad stick of memory or bad slot?? have you run memtest on them? tried re-seating them, tried like 1 stick in 1 slot, etc.

how's your psu?

made sure all power connections plugged in good? cpu and heatsink seated good? maybe you hit the heatsink, loosened it while building and it's overheating?

reseat vid card.

#7: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am
    —
Kenny's suggestions are all things worth double-checking.

I would also throw into the mix that this reminds me of a problem I had a few years ago which was due to a corrupt setting in my bios. Basically, the bios setting was causing an incorrect voltage to the graphics card, and the PSU would auto-trip-off. On the second or third auto-power-off the bios was detecting the error and then running correctly (presumably with safe-default-bios-settings or something). But reverting to the incorrect setting after being switched off overnight, causing the same hoopla the next day.

So, to rule out voltage/current issues:
1.) Check that your bios is listing the correct SSD model and GFX card model.
2.) Make sure the bios-battery (if your board has one) is not loose.
3.) Re-flash/upgrade your bios rom.
4.) If your bios rom is already flashed up to date then try resetting the bios to factory default settings.
5.) Make sure the PSU itself isn't clogged with dust.

Failing all of that, take PSU to hardware store/electrician/pal-with-a-volt-meter and get them to check it actually delivers the voltage and current it is rated for. (And if it doesn't, the manufacturer should replace it as faulty hardware.)

#8: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: kenny_kLocation: port saint lucie, florida PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:28 am
    —
gimp, is it in a reboot loop? any error message? is this during the install or after?

#9: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:22 am
    —
All good suggestions.  I'm out of town right now but I'll expound when I get home.  Weird thing is once it starts properly it will restart perfectly the rest of the day and runs flawlessly.

#10: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: Nickenstein PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:01 am
    —
Maybe it's just taking a little while to get to it's ideal working temperature from a cold-boot-up in the morning. Re-check your air-flow and dust situation (and as per my previous post: Bios, Voltages & currents).

#11: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: stuntLocation: Alabama PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 am
    —
Error like this? "Boot Mgr not found. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del." I get that after an initial restart. I usually boot into bios and "exit and restart" from there. Seeing as a bios reboot works 100% of the time I'm not worried about it. I have quite a few drives with a lot of files and I'm lazy, so I just live with it lol.

What I'd try is:
Remove all storage devices, except the boot drive, and see what happens.

#12: No icon Re: Windows 7 64 bit Author: -=EC=-GimpLocation: Chicago PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:51 pm
    —
Eventually, the LAN port died and I replace the MB and it's all good.  Might have been a spike or just age, but it was only 7 years old so...idk

http://www.easycompanygaming.com -> General Discussion & Off Topic

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1